Friday, March 30, 2012

First time vistor

Can anyone advise on the best time of year to visit the Keys?



First time vistor


My personal favorite time to visit in November/early December. The air and water are still warm, you can still get %26#39;off season%26#39; prices for lodging, and it%26#39;s really cold and dark here in the midwest.





In all honesty, it%26#39;s too chilly for me in the keys right now, highs this week are only in the upper 60%26#39;s. If I%26#39;m paying for vacation, I want more heat.





I like it there in the summer too, but it is really hot. And lately, there have been more than an average number of hurricanes to worry about.



First time vistor


Yes, right now it%26#39;s freezing down here. I had to turn the AC off AND put on a long sleeve shirt....with the sleeves rolled DOWN.





BRRR!




I hear you, Steve. It%26#39;s freezing in Orlando too. It%26#39;s 60 right now, but supposed to go below 40 before tomorrow morning. TOO cold for me!!




Brrrrrrrrr!





I love the hot-hot-hot weather but a lot of people don%26#39;t, so I always recommend September to late November and March to early May. You miss the hottest months, the rainiest months and the potentially coldest months. Unfortunately, that still leaves you with the hurricaniest months.




When is the cold front in KW supposed to pass? It looks like on the weather.com site for extended forecast, no 70%26#39;s till Wed the 15th??? How much can you rely on that site and what is the %26#39;%26#39;local%26#39;%26#39; take on the weather for the 2/12-2/18 week? Still comin%26#39; down either way, just not as much water activity$$ spending. More bar time? LOL




We%26#39;re March people. We%26#39;ve been down from January through March (As well as October and November) and feel early March gives us the best odds of avoiding a cold snap and the best feeling of avoiding a cold, northern winter. There%26#39;s always a possibility from December through March that the wind will come out of the north and drop the highs into the 60s and the lows into the 40s. We%26#39;ve been caught too many times in January and February. (That being said, it was down right nippy in the middle of March in 2005).





One think about October and November: while I enjoyed the days, I found the nights too muggy. Not unexpected, just uncomfortable.




Thanks for all your advice. My husband won%26#39;t go near the Keys in hurricaine season. Do you think mid May would be OK?




It must be OK. There%26#39;s a whole crew of people going that month. I%26#39;m booked.





Pjk




Yea, May should be fine. I don%26#39;t think the hurricanes really get kicking untill mid to late summer. You have to get the water really warm. Besides, a hurricane while on vacation gives you LOTS of stories! You will not be put in harms way if one does come. We evacuate you! Then you get to improvise and have a really off the cuff vacation. I know this is bad to say, but when a hurricane comes the anticipation is just TO MUCH FUN. It%26#39;s the aftermath that is really the part you want to miss. Just NO FUN AT ALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment