Sunday, April 15, 2012

Weather

My husband and I will be in Key West this weekend for the first time. We will come in Friday and leave Monday. I know there is a hurricane brewing in the gulf that is causing evacuation of the Keys. What can I expect the weather to be like this weekend? We won锟斤拷锟絫 let a little rain stop us from having fun. I was just wondering what to expect. Thanks



Weather


when a hurricane is out there the resorts and motels all close and cancel res. if you dont live there they kick you out. I would call to make sure, but it is a quick moving storm and so far not a katrina GOOD LUCK!!!!



Weather


My husband and I will also be there for the first time this Thursday through Monday. They are calling for scattered t-storms this weekend, we will see! I hope they don%26#39;t have any damage from the hurricane.




The governor has issued a mandatory evacuation order for the Keys.




Once Rita passes through ( probably by the afternoon of 09/20,) it will immediately become clear how quickly the Keys can snap back! With any luck there will be a few flooded streets, some trees down and minimal if any power failure- that is, unless Rita surprises everyone by strengthening at the last moment- which is possible. If you come back to TA on Tuesday night or Wednesday Morning, I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll get an accurate prognosis. I am in Fort Lauderdale ( 200 miles away) and we just got our first feeder band- a brief but squally interlude. I%26#39;m sure Key West will have a bad day tomorrow, but hopefully no permanent damage- the weather right after a hurricane is usually gorgeous!




I%26#39;m curious about the flooding that might occur if Rita brings substantial rain to Key West. How widespread is the flooding after storms like this? Is it generally only in the areas right near the water? Or is it also inland?





We have reservations for a place near Duval and United, and I%26#39;m wondering whether flooding might be an issue there.





Thanks for any insight -- and best wishes to those riding out the storm in Key West!




Certain parts of Duval floods all the time....even up onto the sidewalk. There are used to it and it should be alright. This happens with heavy rains - there really is not any high ground on the island. I think Signal Hill area is the highest and that%26#39;s maybe 20 ft. above sea level.





If there are 6 - 10 ft storm surges, there will be more mess and more damage. If power is off longer than a few hours, food will spoil and all will try to restock and be open by the weekend, but it could be ifffy - depends on tomorrow. Good luck on your trips - hope you get to go.




Serenity, my husband and I are supposed to be coming in on Thursday also. We%26#39;re staying at the Lighthouse Court. They said they have canceled reservations for Tues and Wed. night and that KW is very resilient after a storm...we%26#39;ll see!




no posts from people in the keys yet....wonder if they have electricity....i doubt it.....




Writing this report from Ft. Lauderdale. As per our local reporters stationed in the Keys, damage in Key West is ';Minimal';- that is word of mouth from the mayor. Only a few thousand throughout the Keys have lost power and the trucks are already out working. There was some flooding from storm surge on the Overseas Highway ( Route 1) but TV already showed trucks out clearing debris. Key West snaps back quickly from this sort of thing. I%26#39;ll send another report Wednesday morning, but I%26#39;ll be very surprised if those of you traveling to the Keys Thurs or Friday will have any problems. Here in Lauderdale we got no significant damage and the Lauderdale and Miami Airports have been open the whole time!





Looks like we dodged a bullet- my thoughts rae with those in the Gulf who may not be so lucky!




Just talked to my B%26amp;B and they told me there were up and running with no damage. We will be fine for our arrival on Friday. Thanks everyone for your input. I am really looking forward to my first trip to Key West.


  • blush
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment