Sunday, April 15, 2012

40th Birthday trip

We%26#39;re planning a trip to the Keys for my husbands 40th birthday. We%26#39;re either flying down, or driving his motorcycle. Not sure yet which will work out better. We were hoping to visit all the keys in one week. Any suggestions as far as where to stop, where to stay, what is a must see or do? Thanks.





40th Birthday trip


Many, many years ago, before children, my husband and I would fly into MIA and do a few days in Islamorada, a few in Key West, a few in Key Colony Beach and maybe one night in Key Largo before going home. I think that gave us enough time in each unique area to get out and explore and see what places we wanted to hit harder the next time.





I%26#39;m not too fond of Key Largo, too much like the mainland for me but, John Pennecamp State Park has the glass bottom boats and snorkeling so may be worth exploring if you have never been.





Islamorada has the Theater of the Sea, nice craft stores and Holiday Isle (par-teee!). Lor-a-lei %26amp; Papa Joe%26#39;s are favorite restaurants of ours. (Ziggie%26#39;s and Green Turtle are both closed now I think).





Marathon (Key Colony Beach) is a good base for making day trips to Bahia Honda State Park, dolphin research, fishing boats, Sombreo Beach, relaxing. Too many great restaurants for me to remember but we always eat at the Tiki bar, Castaways, Herbie%26#39;s, Key Colony Inn and we like the 7-mile grill for the local chatter.





Key West, wow, TripAdvisor is the best resourse you can find for things to see and do! Check the many past posts for too many ideas to fit into a month.





As far as lodging... I don%26#39;t know anymore. We stay at the same place every year and they have a 1 week minimum.





That%26#39;s a start, I%26#39;m sure others will chime in with more.



40th Birthday trip


Thanks so much. We appreciate the advice and recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment